What is A Call to Community?
A Call to Community is a new Family Promise of Lawrence initiative designed to establish supportive partnerships with individuals and families of current and former Family Promise guests, providing a link to the larger community and help accessing and identifying community resources. Call to Community establishes committed and caring relationships between Community Partners, who are members of our existing network of volunteers, and Family Partners, individuals or families who are current or former guests in the Family Promise program.
And what is the goal?
Call to Community partnerships are meant to grow in the natural way of good friendships, improving mental, emotional, spiritual and physical well being for both Community Partners and Family Partners.
How is this going to happen?
- Current network volunteers are invited to apply to become Community Partners.
- Residents of Family Promise Transitional Housing will be required to partner with a Community Partner. Current and graduated guests can also apply for partnerships.
How long will a partnership last?
While the term of a Community Partnership can be extended indefinitely, the initial minimum time commitment is three months with face-to-face meetings two times per month.
Feeling led to take the first step to becoming a Community Partner?
Here are the next steps:
- Complete initial Family Promise Volunteer Training (if you haven’t already).
- Read more about C2C at this link.
- Read “I See in You the Seeds of Something Fine” (a very brief blog post) by Katherine Dinsdale.
- Contact Katherine Dinsdale to schedule an orientation interview.