I think back when the trauma was fresh
How sleep nor food entered easily
Weight fell from my structure
and tears from my eyes.
That weeping girl is still alive and making it
This will not end her – nor will any obstacle
She is sustained by greater than herself
The world is not yet right
Through the generous sharing of a Block Grant award to Success by Six, Family Promise of Lawrence is able to offer 4 training sessions on Trauma Informed Care and issues relating to family homelessness. In the course you will learn about complex and developmental trauma, how to best set boundaries with the guests we serve, how to help someone through support, not enabling, and learning self – care when working with people through trauma or crisis. The course will be offered once each quarter in 2013. We encourage you to invite friends, volunteers, other social service agencies, clergy, members of your congregations and any community members who may have interest. Each session will be identical, and is offered at 4 different times of the year, so that as many people as possible can have the opportunity to participate.
Instructor: Toni Detherage , LMSW
Toni is currently working in her own practice, Family Centered Therapy and Provider Supports where she works with families and family systems impacted by complex, developmental trauma. Prior to launching into independent work, Toni worked for 6 years with Success by 6 Coalition of Douglas County as the Family Resource Advocate/Community Liaison/Therapist for both direct service e and systems change work which was designed to maintain and build healthy appropriate support services for families with children ages 0-6.
Some of the topics that will be addressed in the training are:
1. A brief introduction to complex trauma? What is the neurophysiology when someone has experienced developmental or complex trauma. (any sort of trauma and/or abuse)
2. Expectations – How do we meet people where they are developmentally following complex, developmental trauma?
2. The Power of Language – bridging, strengthening and building healthy relationships
3. Supporting vs enabling? – How to take good care of ourselves, set good boundaries, and have faith in someone’s capacity and abilities?
4. What are triggers, and how can we help someone who is triggered or is in crisis?
Mark your calendar! We are very blessed to have Toni offer these training opportunities thanks to Success by 6!:
2 sessions Remaining!
1. June 8th, 2013 at First United Methodist Church
946 Vermont, Lawrence, KS 66044
Phone: (785) 841-7500
Time: 9AM – noon
2. October 5th, 2013 at Victory Bible Church
1942 Massachusetts Street Lawrence, KS 66046
Phone: (785) 841-3437
Time: 9AM – noon